The partnership between the ACT Legislative Assembly and the Maneaba ni Maungatabu Kiribati began in 2008, when the two parliaments agreed to work together under the twin parliaments program run by the Australia region of the Commonwealth Parliamentary Association.
The Kiribati Room
In June 2012, the Kiribati Room was opened by Speaker Shane Rattenbury MLA, i-Kiribati Minister of Education Maree Tekanene MP, and Waysang Kum Kee MP (later i-Kiribati Foreign Minister). Formerly known as Committee Room 2, the room was renamed to recognise the partnership between the Legislative Assembly and Maneaba ni Maungatabu.
Used for committee meetings and public hearings, the Kiribati Room is a visible reminder to members and the public of our parliaments' enduring connection. The walls feature woven mats and cowrie shell bowls, both items of high value in i-Kiribati society. Also on display are woodcut prints by Dame Robin White DNZM (Ngāti Awa), a New Zealand artist whose work regularly depicts life and culture in Kiribati.
You can visit the Kiribati Room on our free public tours, run every Wednesday.
The Republic of Kiribati (said 'ki-ri-bas') or Ribaberiki Kiribati is a large ocean state in central Pacific Ocean, made up of 33 coral atolls and islands which became independent in July 1979. Its land area makes up only 0.1% of the country, with the remaining 99.9% — almost 3,450,000 km2 — being ocean. Kiribati ocean span is significant, with roughly the same end-to-end width as the continental United States of America. Around half of its 116,000 citizens live in the capital Tarawa, with a small diaspora in Australia, New Zealand, and other Pacific nations.
Kiribati has is a unitary presidential republic with two levels of government: local and national. Local government is made up of urban and island councils which blend traditional and democratic governance together. At the national level sits the Kiribati Government, the High Court, Maneaba ni Maungatabu.
Te Maneaba ni Maungatabu
The Maneaba ni Maungatabu is Kiribati's national parliament, with a single chamber and 46 elected members. Its name — literally 'the supreme maneaba' — is a nod to the imposing meeting houses (maneaba) which are at the core of village life and community decision-making in Kiribati.
Kiribati's parliamentary system is a blend of the British and American systems. Voters elect their members of the Maneaba from single member electorates across the country using the first-past-the-post system. Kiribati voters also directly elect the Beretitenti (or President) after each election, who are always members of the Maneaba. The Beretitenti chooses who forms their cabinet from the elected members of the Maneaba. Members elect the Speaker of the Maneaba, who is not an elected member and has no vote.
The Maneaba building was built in 2000. In addition to the chamber, the building houses meeting rooms, a library, a separate wing for the executive, and a dining area.
The ACT and Kiribati compared
- June — The election of the first female Speaker of the Maneaba ni Maungatabu, Hon Tangariki Reete, is acknowledged in the Assembly. Click here to watch it on Assembly on Demand.
- May — A display on the twinning arrangement between the ACT and Kiribati parliaments was included in the selfgov30 exhibition at the Assembly.
- June — A motion was moved in the Assembly to mark the 40th anniversary of Kiribati independence.
- July — The former Deputy Clerk and Serjeant-at-Arms assisted in a UNDP-sponsored project reviewing the standing orders of the Maneaba ni Maungatabu.
- September — An all-female delegation headed by the Speaker visited the Maneaba ni Maungatabu and local schools in Kiribati.
- November — The Chair of the Maneaba ni Maungatabu Public Accounts Committee visited the Assembly.
- October-November — The Speaker and Clerk of the Maneaba ni Maungatabu visited the ACT Legislative Assembly where they were presented a cheque to a local i-Kiribati charity for funds raised by Office of the Legislative Assembly staff.
- June — Three Hansard staff from the Maneaba ni Maungatabu were attached to the Assembly to observe and share knowledge on Hansard activities.
- March — The Secretary of the Maneaba ni Maungtabu Public Accounts Committee participated in an attachment with the Office of the Legislative Assembly.