Draft Variation 363 – Curtin group centre and adjacent residential areas: zone changes and amendments to the Curtin precinct map and code
Today the Assembly’s Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal released its report on the Inquiry into Draft Variation 363 – Curtin group centre and adjacent residential areas: zone changes and amendments to the Curtin precinct map and code
The draft variation proposed to amend the Territory Plan map by rezoning a number of selected areas, including:
- Block 7 Section 63 Curtin, from residential/commercial zones to urban open space; and
- the southern part of the centre, from commercial core zone to commercial business zone.
It also proposed to amend the Curtin Precinct Code and Map. Some of these changes included:
- amending building heights to the south and north west of the central courtyard; in the medium density residential zones adjoining the centre; on the Statesman Hotel site (Block 6 Section 62 Curtin) and on part of the adjacent parking areas;
- limiting building heights around the Group Centre’s central courtyard to single storey; and
- generally prohibiting residential uses within the commercial core area at the ground floor level.
Whilst the Committee recommended that the Draft Variation proceed, it raised a number of concerns in regards to the rules and criteria applicable to the identified redevelopment areas; protecting levels of sunlight in public spaces and the content of desired character statements.
The Committee made 7 recommendations. These related to:
- changes to the specific rules and criteria for parking controls and space allowances for street trees;
- consideration of plot ratio controls;
- protection of sunlight for public spaces; and
- the proposed desired character statement to include human scale, sunlight to the central courtyard and the provision of attractive and busy public places more generally.
The Chair of the Committee, Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA stated:
‘The Curtin Group Centre is important to the local community for shopping and other services. The Committee’s recommendations are intended to encourage some redevelopment of the precinct, while protecting the amenity of public areas.’
The Report is available via the Inquiry webpage: https://www.parliament.act.gov.au/parliamentary-business/in-committees/committees/standing-committees-current-assembly/standing-committee-on-planning-and-urban-renewal/draft-variation-to-the-territory-plan-no-363-curtin-group-centre-and-adjacent-residential-areas-zone-changes-and-amendments-to-the-curtin-precinct-map-and-code#tab1503049-1id
For more information contact:
Committee Chair, Caroline Le Couteur MLA on 620 51941
Committee Secretary, Ms Annemieke Jongsma on 620 51253