Draft Variation 360 – Molonglo River Reserve: changes to public land reserve overlay boundaries and minor zone adjustment
Today the Assembly’s Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal released its report on the Inquiry into Draft Variation 360 – Molonglo River Reserve: changes to public land reserve overlay boundaries and minor zone adjustment
The draft variation proposed to amend the Territory Plan map by changing public land reserve overall boundaries and changing the zoning and reserve system of a number of selected areas, including:
- nonurban zone NUZ2 Rural zone to NUZ4 River Corridor zone;
- incorporating part of Block 485 Stromlo into the reserve system under the public land reserve ‘Pc – a nature reserve’ overlay; and
- changing some sections of special purpose reserve and urban open space to nature reserve.
Whilst the Committee recommended that the Draft Variation proceed, it raised a number of concerns in regards to the future of the Coombs Peninsula.
The Committee made 4 recommendations. These included:
- the consideration of Coombs Peninsula for environmental and recreational purposes;
- the withdrawal of Coombs Peninsula from the land release program; and
- the rezoning of the bulk of the Coombs Peninsula to a Hills, Ridges and Buffer Zone whilst also removing the Future Urban Area Overlay
The Chair of the Committee, Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA stated:
‘Evidence to the Committee focussed on the future of part of Coombs known as the Coombs Peninsula, which is bordered by the Molonglo River Reserve on three sides. The Committee’s recommendations set out a proposed way forward for the future of the Coombs Peninsula.
Ms Le Couteur also wished to thank those who contributed to the inquiry:
‘I would like to thank members of the local community, conservation groups, the Minister and officials for contributing their time and expertise to the Committee’s inquiry.’
The Report is available via the Inquiry webpage: https://www.parliament.act.gov.au/in-committees/standing-committees-current-assembly/standing-committee-on-planning-and-urban-renewal/draft-variation-to-the-territory-plan-no-360-
For more information contact:
Committee Chair, Caroline Le Couteur MLA on 620 51941
Committee Secretary, Ms Annemieke Jongsma on 620 51253