Draft Variation 355: Calwell Group Centre – Zone Changes and amendments to the Calwell Precinct Map and Code
Today the Assembly’s Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal released its report on the Inquiry into Draft Variation 355: Calwell Group Centre – Zone Changes and amendments to the Calwell Precinct Map and Code
The draft variation proposed to amend the Territory Plan map by rezoning a number of selected areas, including:
- parts of block 8 section 788 from TSZ2 Transport Services Zone to CFZ Community Facilities Zone; and
- parts of block 41 section 787 from CZ3 Services Zone to CZ1 Core Zone.
It also proposed to amend the Calwell Precinct Code and Map. Some of these changes included:
- specific requirements for building design, active frontages and setbacks
- the removal of additional merit track MT1 development from within the Commercial CZ1 Core Zone: industrial trades, municipal depot and store;
- development up to four storeys over part of block 12 section 787 and block 41 section 787; and
- the identification of pedestrian paths to be provided or retained as part of any development.
Whilst the Committee recommended that the Draft Variation proceed, it raised a number of concerns in regards to the rules and criteria applicable to the identified redevelopment areas and the ongoing commercial viability of the centre. It also raised concerns about the unavailability of shadow diagrams relevant to the future development sites for viewing by Committee.
The Committee made 6 recommendations. These included:
- changes to the limitations and conditions in relation to residential use;
- an increase to the development area which currently incorporates block 12 section 787; and
- the provision of shadow diagrams to the Committee and the ACT Community for all future similar draft variations.
The Chair of the Committee, Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA stated:
‘The Calwell Shops are important to the local community for shopping and other services. The Committee’s recommendations are intended to encourage some redevelopment of the precinct, while protecting public areas and key services like the supermarket.’
The Report is available via the Inquiry webpage: https://www.parliament.act.gov.au/in-committees/standing-committees-current-assembly/standing-committee-on-planning-and-urban-renewal/draft-variation-to-the-territory-plan-no-355-calwell-group-centre
For more information contact:
Committee Chair, Caroline Le Couteur MLA on 620 51941
Committee Secretary, Ms Annemieke Jongsma on 620 51253