WESTON GROUP CENTRE REPORT TABLED
The Assembly’s Standing Committee on Planning and Urban Renewal has tabled its report on the Inquiry into Draft Variation No 329: Weston Group Centre and Surrounding Community and Leisure and Accommodation Lands: Zone changes and amendments to the Weston Precinct map and code
The draft variation proposed to amend the Territory Plan map by rezoning a number of selected areas, including:
- an area incorporating an urban open space zone and community facility zone between the existing CZ1 commercial core zone and the stormwater channel to the east;
- urban open space zone at the corner of Brierly Street and Parkinson Street; and
- a portion of the community facility zone between the existing community zone, the existing CZ1 commercial core and the stormwater channel.
It also proposed to amend the Weston Precinct Code and Map. Some of these changes included:
- changes to maximum building heights;
- built form provisions which nominate building setbacks and active frontage requirements;
- provisions for pedestrian access and awning provisions in selected areas;
- provisions covering development of the existing car parks north and south of the centre; and
- provisions prohibiting the development of community activity centre, community theatre and indoor recreation facility on a site on the corner of Brierly Street and Parkinson Street in accordance with Environment Protection Authority requirements.
Whilst the Committee recommended that the Draft Variation proceed, it raised a number of concerns and made 11 recommendations. These included:
- the need to establish a new Weston Creek Community Centre, including a community hall, prior to the sale of the current community centre site;
- the need to ensure that the number of publicly accessible car parking spaces are maintained during and after any development activity on the current car parking areas;
- the time it took the ACT Government to complete the master plan process and draft variation; and
- the difficulty of understanding the process and content of the planning documents.
The Chair of the Committee, Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA stated:
‘The Committee particularly focused its recommendations on ensuring any development of the Weston Group Centre improved the community facilities as well as retail and residential opportunities.’
The Report is available via the Inquiry webpage: https://www.parliament.act.gov.au/in-committees/standing-committees-current-assembly/standing-committee-on-planning-and-urban-renewal/inquiry-into-draft-variation-to-the-territory-plan-no-329-weston-group-centre-and-surrounding-community-and-leisure-and-accommodation-lands-zone-changes-and-amendments-to-the-weston-precinct-map-and-code
STATEMENT ENDS—Tuesday 20 February 2018
For more information contact:
Committee Chair, Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA on 620 51941
Committee Secretary, Ms Annemieke Jongsma on 620 51253