Select Committee on Independent Integrity Commission (Dissolved)
On Thursday 15 December 2016, the Legislative Assembly established the Committee to, amongst other things, inquire into the most effective and efficient model of an independent integrity commission for the ACT and that the committee make recommendations on the appropriateness of adapting models operating in other similarly-sized jurisdictions.
The Inquiry’s terms of reference (T of R) are available from the T of R menu button on this webpage.
The Committee’s inquiry has now concluded upon presentation of its report. The Committee tabled its report on 31 October 2017. The Report can be accessed from the Committee homepage.
For further information please refer to the Committee homepage or contact the Committee Secretary, Dr Andréa Cullen, on (02) 6205 0142.
|Inquiry into an Independent Integrity Commission||15 December 2016 (Referred)||31 October 2017 (Completed)|
At its meeting on Thursday, 15 December 2016, the Assembly passed the following resolution:
- a select committee be established to inquire into the most effective and efficient model of an independent integrity commission for the ACT and that the committee make recommendations on the appropriateness of adapting models operating in other similarly-sized jurisdictions, as well as:
- the personnel structure of the commission to ensure the appropriate carriage of workload;
- governance and funding that delivers independence;
- the powers available to a commission;
- the educative functions of a commission;
- issues regarding retrospectivity, including human rights, and the timeframes around which former actions can be assessed;
- the relationship between any commission and existing accountability and transparency mechanisms and bodies in the ACT; and
- any other relevant matter;
- (2) the select committee shall consist of the following number of members, composed of:
- two Members to be nominated by the Government;
- two Members to be nominated by the Opposition;
- one Member to be nominated by the Crossbench; and
- the Chair shall be a Crossbench member;
- the select committee be provided with necessary staff, facilities and resources;
- the select committee to report by the end of August 2017;
- if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation;
- the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders; and
- nominations for membership of the committee be notified in writing to the Speaker within two hours following conclusion of the debate on the matter."
On 6 June 2017—at its meeting, the Assembly agreed to amend the resolution at paragraph (4) by omitting “August” and substituting “October”.
Mr Shane Rattenbury MLA (Chair)
Mrs Giulia Jones MLA (Deputy Chair)
Ms Bec Cody MLA
Ms Elizabeth Lee MLA
Mr Chris Steel MLA
|Resolution establishing the Committee||PDF (138.6 KB)||Word (188.0 KB)|
As of Monday 27 February 2017 the Select Committee has called for public submissions to its inquiry into an independent integrity commission for the ACT.
|Call for Public Submissions||PDF (161.5 KB)||Word (87.0 KB)|
|Issues paper—Australian Public Sector Integrity Frameworks||PDF (799.8 KB)||Word (209.5 KB)|
Committee Secretary: Dr Andréa Cullen
Phone: (02) 620 50142