On 30 November 2017, the ACT Legislative Assembly established a Select Committee to review and report on end of life choices in the ACT.
The Committee is required to conduct its inquiry and report to the Legislative Assembly on or before the last sitting day in 2018 (29 November 2018).
The Committee’s full terms of reference are to inquire into and report on:
The Committee is inviting all those interested in the inquiry to make a submission to the inquiry.
Lodgement of submissions is requested by c.o.b. Friday 23 March 2018. (Please note: Date extended from 23 February 2018)
The Committee prefers submissions to be type-written and submitted in electronic form, although handwritten submissions are also acceptable. All submissions should include an email address, a postal address and a telephone contact number.
Submissions are to be sent to: LACommitteeEOLC@parliament.act.gov.au
Secretary, Select Committee on End of Life Choices in the ACT, Legislative Assembly for the ACT, GPO Box 1020, CANBERRA ACT 2601.
If you would like to make a submission but will have trouble meeting this deadline, please contact the committee secretary.
Please feel free to pass this information to other people and organisations you feel may be interested in the inquiry.
For further information about the inquiry please contact the Committee Secretary, Andrew Snedden on (02) 6205 0199 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on making a submission to an Assembly Committee - View submission guide.
|Inquiry into End of Life Choices in the ACT||30 November 2017||On-going|
Ms Bec Cody MLA (Chair)
Mrs Vicki Dunne MLA (Deputy Chair)
Ms Tara Cheyne MLA
Mrs Elizabeth Kikkert MLA
Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA
(1) a select committee be established to inquire into end of life choices in the ACT, including:
(a) current practices utilised in the medical community to assist a person to exercise their preference in managing the end of their life, including palliative care;
(b) ACT community views on the desirability of voluntary assisted dying being legislated in the ACT;
(c) risks to individuals and the community associated with voluntary assisted dying and whether and how these can be managed;
(d) the applicability of voluntary assisted dying schemes operating in other jurisdictions to the ACT, particularly the Victorian scheme;
(e) the impact of Federal legislation on the ACT determining its own policy on voluntary assisted dying and the process for achieving change; and
(f) any other relevant matter;
(2) the select committee shall consist of the following number of members, composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition; and
(c) one Member to be nominated by the Crossbench;
(3) the select committee be provided with necessary staff, facilities and resources;
(4) the select committee is to report by the last sitting day in 2018;
(5) if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation;
(6) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders.
30 November 2017
|Terms of Reference||PDF (156.2 KB)||Word (72.3 KB)|
Secretary: Mr Andrew Snedden
Phone: (02) 620 50199