INVITATION FOR PUBLIC SUBMISSIONS
The Select Committee on an Independent Integrity Commission (the Committee) invites written submissions, from interested organisations and individuals, to its inquiry into the establishment of an independent integrity commission for the ACT.
On Thursday 15 December 2016, the Legislative Assembly established the Committee to, amongst other things, inquire into the most effective and efficient model of an independent integrity commission for the ACT and that the committee make recommendations on the appropriateness of adapting models operating in other similarly-sized jurisdictions.
The Inquiry’s terms of reference (T of R) are available from the T of R menu button on this webpage. Submissions should address some or all of the T of R. Written submissions should be lodged by COB Friday 19 May 2017.
The Committee has a broad public interest mandate and is not in a position to determine the rights and wrongs of individual cases. The Committee process is not a forum to resolve issues pertaining solely to individual cases or grievances but is a forum to explore the general matters of principle, policy or public administration relevant to the T of R. Individual cases will only be considered to the extent that they may assist the Committee with the general matters of principle, policy or public administration relevant to the T of R. The Committee will be confining its inquiry to the T of R.
The Committee prefers to receive typed submissions electronically, although handwritten submissions are acceptable. All submissions, including those sent electronically, must include a postal address and telephone contact number. Submissions should be forwarded to:
Secretary, Select Committee on an Independent Integrity Commission, Legislative Assembly for the ACT, GPO Box 1020, CANBERRA ACT 2601. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines to assist individuals and organisations to make their submissions can be accessed via the Assembly's website at: http://www.parliament.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/1063037/Witness-guide.pdf
Submitters are advised that it is completely within the discretion of the Committee to decide whether or not a person or organisation lodging a submission should be invited to appear as a witness. The Committee expects to commence holding public hearings in July 2017.
For further information please refer to the Committee homepage or contact the Committee Secretary, Dr Andréa Cullen, on (02) 6205 0142.
Mr Shane Rattenbury MLA (Chair)
Mrs Giulia Jones MLA (Deputy Chair)
Ms Bec Cody MLA
Ms Elizabeth Lee MLA
Mr Chris Steel MLA
Secretary: Dr Andrea Cullen
Phone: (02) 620 50142
At its meeting on Thursday, 15 December 2016, the Assembly passed the following resolution:
(1) a select committee be established to inquire into the most effective and efficient model of an independent integrity commission for the ACT and that the committee make recommendations on the appropriateness of adapting models operating in other similarly-sized jurisdictions, as well as:
(a) the personnel structure of the commission to ensure the appropriate carriage of workload;
(b) governance and funding that delivers independence;
(c) the powers available to a commission;
(d) the educative functions of a commission;
(e) issues regarding retrospectivity, including human rights, and the timeframes around which former actions can be assessed;
(f) the relationship between any commission and existing accountability and transparency mechanisms and bodies in the ACT; and
(g) any other relevant matter;
(2) the select committee shall consist of the following number of members, composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition;
(c) one Member to be nominated by the Crossbench; and
(d) the Chair shall be a Crossbench member;
(3) the select committee be provided with necessary staff, facilities and resources;
(4) the select committee to report by the end of August 2017;
(5) if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation;
(6) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders; and
(7) nominations for membership of the committee be notified in writing to the Speaker within two hours following conclusion of the debate on the matter."
On 6 June 2017—at its meeting, the Assembly agreed to amend the resolution at paragraph (4) by omitting “August” and substituting “October”.
|Resolution establishing the Committee||PDF (138.6 KB)||Word (188.0 KB)|
|Inquiry into an Independent Integrity Commission||15 December 2016 (Referred)||On-going|