On 15 December 2016, the ACT Legislative Assembly established a Select Committee to review and report on the operation of the 2016 Act election and the Electoral Act and other matters.
The Committee is due to report to the Legislative Assembly by the last sitting day of the Assembly for 2017.
The Committee’s full terms of reference are -
Submissions are requested by c.o.b. Friday 30 June 2017 (electronic lodgment is preferred). If you would like to make a submission but will have trouble meeting this deadline, please contact the committee secretary.
Please feel free to pass this information to other people/organisations you feel may be interested in the inquiry. The Committee is required to report to the Legislative Assembly on or before the last sitting day in 2017 (30 November 2017).
For further information about the inquiry please contact the Committee Secretary, Andrew Snedden on (02) 6205 0199 or at email@example.com.
For information on making a submission, please see http://www.parliament.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/399184/Witness-guide-2013-05-31-final.pdf
On 20 April 2017, The Committee has released a Discussion Paper to assist individuals and organisations to prepare written submissions to its inquiry. View Discussion Papers (PDF, 236.3kb).
Ms Bec Cody MLA (Chair)
Mr James Milligan MLA (Deputy Chair)
Ms Tara Cheyne MLA
Ms Caroline Le Couteur MLA
Mr Andrew Wall MLA
Secretary: Mr Andrew Snedden
Phone: (02) 620 50199
At its meeting on Thursday, 15 December 2016, the Assembly passed the following resolution:
(1) a select committee be established to review the operation of the 2016 ACT election and the Electoral Act and other relevant legislation and policies in regards to election-related matters, and make recommendations on:
(a) lowering the voting age;
(b) improving donation rules and donation reporting timeframes;
(c) increasing voter participation in elections and encouraging political activity; and
(d) any other relevant matter;
(2) the select committee shall consist of the following number of members, composed of:
(a) two Members to be nominated by the Government;
(b) two Members to be nominated by the Opposition;
(c) one Member to be nominated by the Crossbench; and
(d) the Chair shall be a Government Member;
(3) the select committee be provided with necessary staff, facilities and resources;
(4) the select committee is to report by the last sitting day in 2017;
(5) if the Assembly is not sitting when the committee has completed its inquiry, the committee may send its report to the Speaker or, in the absence of the Speaker, to the Deputy Speaker, who is authorised to give directions for its printing, publishing and circulation;
(6) the foregoing provisions of this resolution, so far as they are inconsistent with the standing orders, have effect notwithstanding anything contained in the standing orders; and
(7) nominations for membership of the committee be notified in writing to the Speaker within two hours following conclusion of the debate on the matter.".
|Inquiry into 2016 ACT Election and Electoral Act||15 December 2016 (Referred)||On-going|